“Time management shouldn’t take your time, but rather make extra time for you.” – Anonymous
What is Time Management?
Time Management is the act of planning the amount of time you spend on your daily activities. The goal behind this management technique is to increase the productivity of an individual; it all started with Frederick Taylor when he conducted time and motion studies that focus on the best ways for tasks to be performed – accomplish more work in a shorter period of time.
Why is Time Management Important?
Companies, especially ones whose work output is hard to measure, are using the time management technique to reach the goal of increasing their employees’ productivity. This usually happens in white collar jobs, where time used is considered as an important KPI. Some theories show that time management is effective in the process of setting goals, adjusting plans as they change, allocation of tasks and many more.
Top 6 Benefits of Time Management
- More work done but less stress – as mentioned earlier, one of time management’s goals is to increase productivity; you are able to accomplish more of your workload if you know what you have to do. Managing your time can help decrease your stress levels; rushing to meet deadlines can be avoided and high quality work will be delivered.
- Enjoy more free time – time management can help you make better use of your time since no one has the ability to create more of it. Simple acts of effectively managing your time such as getting to work early and doing your work in advance can help produce more leisure time in your schedule – you can pursue a new hobby or interest like painting, gardening, hiking and many more.
- Spontaneity and flexibility – learning good time management skills will allow you to squeeze in more unexpected activities in your life – you can hang-out with your friends, have dinner with your family or watch a movie without the need of advanced planning. You can enjoy more of life when you have less amount of work to worry about.
- More opportunities – good time management produces more opportunities for you. Always remember, the early bird catches the worm and luck always favors the prepared! When you come to work early, you’ll be one of the firsts to hear the good news that your boss may announce. You’ll be able to do more work and show your boss and co-workers how productive you really are – your excellent performance at work will not be overlooked, in time you will reap what you sow.
- Avoid rework – you are able to produce better work results if you are organized because you can avoid committing more mistakes. Ask yourself, how often do you have to do a task more than once? If your answer is more often than expected, then it’s time for you to practice managing your time properly. Just imagine how much time you can save if you avoid forgetting important details, items and instructions for work.
- Enhances your reputation to your clients – when you possess good time management skills, people will positively talk about you. This will help put you on top of your league at work and in life because you will earn the reputation of being a reliable person. People will feel more comfortable in making appointments with you because they know that you will show up on time and you are more likely to be someone who will follow through.