Making successful sales calls is never easy. It’s always nerve-wrecking presenting to total strangers over the phone, especially if it’s your first time. However, you just need to face it; you are a salesperson and you will need to go out of your comfort zone – pick up the phone and obtain your objectives and meet your goals!
Making sales calls is your opportunity to learn more about your potential customers – their lifestyle, location and anything that is significant to your business relationship with them. Sales calls are also your chance of getting a solid agreement from your potential customers to purchase your product or service; it is your opportunity to convince them that your product and/or service is truly a good fit for their needs.
The following tips will help you in making successful sales calls to your potential customers:
Top 7 Tips for Successful Sales Calls
- Understand the Needs and Wants of Your Potential Customers. Your first sales call to your customers should be less about ‘pitching’ your product or service; make your first call your opportunity to get an in-depth understanding of your what your potential customers need and want. Also, you should allow your customers to do most of the talking and just focus on asking probing questions that will give you a clear idea on how you can ‘close’ later on.
- Show Familiarity with Your Target Market. Create a set of questions that demonstrate your familiarity with your target market – your customer’s business, their current suppliers, their roles and responsibilities, etc. Make sure to incorporate all the useful information about your potential customers into the script or call guide that your agents will use in conducting sales calls.
- Believe in the Value that You Offer. You already have value as an individual and presenting your product or service to the right customer will add great value to your business. Believing in your value as a salesperson can help make you an effective salesperson that is ready to make successful sales calls! Do not be discouraged if the customer that you’re speaking with is discourteous or unreceptive because if you truly believe in the value of your product, you should not easily be put off. Keep your confidence!
- Position Your Product and Business. Always make sure that you position your business and product clearly for your customers to understand. Avoid using jargon and technical descriptions that may confuse your customers about the product or service that you are selling.
- Show Off Your Product’s Features and Capabilities. When making a sales call, focus on ‘showing’ your product’s features and capabilities rather than just ‘discussing’ them. Provide examples that will demonstrate how your product or service has helped similar customers with their needs.
- Contact New Prospects Daily. Set a number goal on how many potential customers you should contact in a day. Reach out to your target market through various channels – phone call, email, social media, etc. You must be proactive in searching for new prospects to establish your business name, this task is doable especially if you do it on a daily basis.
- Make Follow Up Calls. When you don’t hear anything from your prospects, contact them again. The key is to keep on trying. Try to contact your prospects at least 3 times a week. If you still don’t get anything, leave it for 2 to 3 weeks then try it again. Continue this process at intervals and make sure to leave irresistible messages that can inspire your customers to take action. Although not everyone may respond to your calls, many prospects should call you back. Always remember that making successful sales calls is not easy, but it’s not impossible!